Kannada Translation of Kuvempu's "The Banished Indian Patriot - Sonnet 2"

 The legendary Kannada Poet, Kuppalli Venkatappa Puttappa (Kuvempu) had written a couple of sonnets in English, highlighting the patriotism of Veer Savarkar. Here's an attempt to translate the second of them to Kannada:


ಮರೆತ ವೀರ ಭಾರತೀಯ - ಸಾನೆಟ್ ೨


ಅಬ್ಬರಿಸುವ ಸಾಗರಗಳೆ! ಹಬ್ಬಿರೆನ್ನ ಸುತ್ತಲೂ,

ಭೋರ್ಗರೆಯುವ ತೆರೆಗಳುಬ್ಬಿ ಮೊರೆಯುತಿರಲದೆಂದಿಗೂ!

ಧರೆಯ ಕಾಳ ನರಕ ನೀನು, ಓ ಕರಾಳ ದೀವಿಯೇ!

ನಾಕವೆಂದೆ ಬಗೆವೆ; ಕೆರಳು! ಕೆರಳಿ ಕೆಂಡವಾಗಿಸು! 


ಭರತಭೂಮಿಸುತನು ನಾನು ಪರಮವೀರಚೇತನ,

ಮರಣದೆದುರು ಮುಗುಳುನಗುವೆ; ರೌದ್ರದೆದುರು ರುದ್ರ ನಾ!

ಅಪರಿಮೇಯದಾಚೆಗಿರುವೆ, ನಾನು ಅಗಣಿತಾತ್ಮನು;

ಪೂರ್ಣರಾದ ಋಷಿಮುನಿಗಳ ಮೇರುಕುಲದೆ ಜಾತನು.


ಅಳವುಗುಂದಿದೆಲರೆ ಕೇಳು, ಕೇಳಿ ಕಿಗ್ಗಡಲುಗಳೇ!

ಅವನ ಸತ್ತ್ವದಿಂದ ನೀವು, ಹಿಡಿಯಲವನ ಸಾಧ್ಯವೇ?

ಆ ಪರಾತ್ಪರದೊಳಗೊಂದುಗೂಡಿದಾತ್ಮ ನನ್ನದು,

ಆದರೇನು? ಭಾರತೀಯನೆಂಬ ಹೆಮ್ಮೆ ಕುಂದದು!


ನಾನೆ ಶರ್ವ, ನಾನೆ ಸರ್ವ; ಗಹ್ವರದೊಳು ಧುಮುಕುವೆ,

ಪ್ರಾಣನಾಥನಲ್ಲಿ ಸಿಗುವ, ಸಚ್ಚಿದಾನಂದವೇ!

- ವೆಂಕಟೇಶಪ್ರಸನ್ನ




The original:

The Banished Indian Patriot - Sonnet 2

 - Kuppalli Venkatappa Puttappa (Kuvempu)

Ye oceans that around me spread your vast

And endless wavy bosom, roar and swell!

And O thou Islet grim, Earth's Darkest Hell,

But now a heaven to me, rage, rage thy blast!

Here stands an Indian, mightiest INDIAN Soul,

That smiles at death, fiercer than ferocity,

And more infinite than Infinity,

Descendant of Rishis who were the WHOLE!


Ye feeble winds, ye pigmy oceans wide

Can you bind Him from whom you both survive?

Know that I am one with that mighty Power.

An Indian tho' I be, it is my pride

I'm one and All. When I begin to dive

Deep, O Joy, I find myself a great Lover!


Comments