Kannada Translation of the poem "Cerebral Palsy"

An attempt at translating Dr. Chandana Sri's poem "Cerebral Palsy" to Kannada, one of the most beautiful and moving poems I have come across in recent times. The original is below the translation, and I would be very surprised if the last four lines of the original in particular did not move many people to tears or make them contemplate in general.

Dr. Chandana says she wrote this poem about 4 years ago, when a kid with cerebral palsy had come in with pneumonia for treatment.

ಸೆರೆಬ್ರಲ್ ಪಾಲ್ಸಿ

ಮರಮರಳಿ ನನ್ನತ್ತ ನೀ ನೋಡಿದಾಗೆಲ್ಲ
ಮರೆಯಾಗಲಿನ್ನೆಂದು ಬಯಸಿಲ್ಲವೇ?
ನಿನ್ನ ಪಾಲಿಗೆ ನಾನು ಮತ್ತೆ ಬೇರಿನ್ನೇನು?
ಎಡಬಿಡದೆ ಕಾಡುತಿಹ ದಿಗಿಲಲ್ಲವೇ?

ಬಲಹೀನನಿವ ತನ್ನ ಅಡಗಿನುಂಡೆಯೆ ಕಾಣು
ಮೂಕನಿವ ಹೆಡ್ಡನಿವನೆನಿಸಿಲ್ಲವೇ?
ಮರುಕವಿಲ್ಲದ ವಿಧಿಯು ತಿರುಚಿರಲು ನನ್ನಿರವ
ಬೆಲೆಯೇನು ಇವನದೆಂದೆನಿಸಿಲ್ಲವೇ?

ನನ್ನೆಡೆಗೆ ನೋಡಿ ನೀ ನಗುವೆಯಾ, ಈ ನನ್ನ
ನವಿರಿರದ ನಡೆಗಳನು ಅಣಕಿಸುವೆಯಾ?
ನನ್ನೊಳಗೆ ಉರಿಯುತಿಹ ಚೈತನ್ಯದಗ್ನಿಯನು
ನೋಡುವಾಸೆಗೂ ನೆಲೆಯ ಕೊಡದಾದೆಯಾ?

ನನ್ನಿಂದ ನೀ ಪಡೆದ ನಲಿವುಗಳ ಸಮನಾದ
ಒಲವ ನೀ ನನಗೆಂದು ಕೊಡಮಾಡೆಯಾ?
ಹೇಗಿರಲುಬಹುದಿತ್ತು ಹೇಗಿರುವನೀಗೆನದೆ
ಈಗಿರುವ ದೆಸೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಸ್ವೀಕರಿಸೆಯಾ?

Original poem "Cerebral Palsy" by Dr. Chandana Sri

Every time you look at me,
Do you wish I'd disappear?
Is that all I'll ever be?
A nightmare of your deepest fear?

Do you see a hapless weight?
Spastic, mute and imbecile...
Just a cruel trick of fate...
Never really worth the while...

Or will you just laugh at me?
Mock me and my clumsy ways...
Can you even hope to see -
The spirit within me, ablaze?

Will you simply give me love -
For the joys that you could glean?
Take me for what I am now -
Not for what I could have been...

Comments

Shivoham said…
Beautiful poem and lovely translaton. Kudos and Hats off!